Ventura Legal Separation Attorneys
Deciding Between Separation or Divorce
The most relevant differences between obtaining a legal separation rather than a divorce is that it takes effect immediately after it is ordered and does not actually terminate a marriage. While those who are granted a divorce go back to their single status, a couple which separates is still legally married.
There are many reasons why some couples choose to pursue a separation, the most common being:
- It is generally cheaper than divorce proceedings
- It provides an option that allows for easy reconciliation in the future
- It allows couples to retain marital privileges such as healthcare or immigration status
Unsure if a separation or divorce is better for you? Let our Ventura family law lawyers help you make that decision. Call the Zahn Law Office at (805) 804-9100.
The Process of Legal Separation
Depending on the relationship between the couple, many of the pertinent issues involved with a separation can be agreed upon without needing to go to court. Involving a mediator to assist if the spouses are unwilling to come to a mutual decision on the terms of their split may be effective. Agreements can be arranged through negotiations between attorneys or, in more contentious cases, through the court directly.
Some of the most important decisions that must be made during this process concern:
- Distribution of assets and debts
- Responsibility of existing payments
- Whether both spouses will have access to funds in joint accounts
- How income and property will be treated after couple separates
- Whether spousal support will be required
- Issues related to children, such as custody concerns and visitation rights
Zahn Law Office Is Your Trusted Ally
Whether you are looking for simple legal counsel or aggressive representation, our Ventura family law attorneys are your ally throughout the process.
Call (805) 804-9100 today to schedule a free case consultation.