Ventura Child Support Attorneys
Keeping the Best Interests of You & Your Child in Mind
Whether you require assistance drafting a civil agreement with the other parent of your children or are on the cusp of a long legal dispute, seasoned representation is a necessity for any matter concerning your children’s well-being. Our Ventura family law lawyers at the Zahn Law Office have over 15 years of experience and have handled hundreds of cases. We are prepared to fight for you.
Trust us to find a creative solution specific to you and your family's situation. Call (805) 804-9100 for compassionate legal counsel.
Reaching an Amicable Agreement
It is possible for parents of children involved in a divorce to reach a child support agreement before going to court. It is recommended that a Ventura family lawyer or other legal advisor oversee this process to ensure the document meets the necessary requirements. If a plan is agreed upon, it must be submitted to the court for review and approval.
It is necessary that the agreement clearly express that:
- Both parents acknowledge their rights
- Neither parent was forced to enter the agreement
- Both parents feel the agreement is in the children’s best interest
- The needs of the children will be sufficiently met by the agreement
- Neither parent is receiving, or about to apply for, public assistance
How Is the Amount of Support Determined?
If the parents are unable to come to an agreement, the matter will be taken to court. The three main factors a judge takes into account are the incomes of both parents, the number of children, and the percentage of time each parent spends with the children.
Once this information is ascertained, the court typically uses a computer program to calculate a complicated formula to determine the proper amount of child support. However, the court retains the discretion to decide upon an amount differing from the calculation if there are extenuating circumstances.
Some of the common reasons the court deviates from the suggested guideline are:
- One parent having an income so large that the guideline amount exceeds the children’s needs
- A parent not meeting the children’s needs considering the amount of time they spend with them
- Both parents spending equal time with children, but one parent using a much higher or lower percentage of their income on housing
- Children having special needs that require additional support
We See You as a Person, Not Just a Client
Our seasoned family lawyer, Paul Zahn, decided to pursue a career in law after working for the Ventura County Department of Child Support. He saw the difference he could make in the young lives of his town and felt that a career in family law would allow him to further serve his community.
Paul understands that any matter concerning your children is profoundly important to you. The decision a court arrives at concerning the support for your children is one that will shape their future and your own. Our team is committed to considering every option for your case and giving our utmost effort to secure the ideal outcome for your children.
Let our Ventura family law lawyers help. Get in touch with the Zahn Law Office (805) 804-9100 for your free in-person consultation.