Ventura Child Custody Lawyers
We Put Your Children First
At Zahn Law Office, we understand that there is nothing more important to you than the well-being of your children, especially after divorce or legal separation. You should not have to undergo the pressure of a custody case without the security of seasoned representation in your corner. Let us join your team. Together, we can protect your children and their future.
Schedule a free consultation with our Ventura family law attorneys today. Call (805) 804-9100.
Child Custody Laws in California
California law favors joint physical and legal custody if both parents are able and willing to work together. If they refuse to comply, the court is responsible for creating an alternative plan that prioritizes the children’s best interests.
The main factors considered by the judge at this time are:
- Whether either parent has a history of domestic violence
- Whether either parent has a habit of drug and/or alcohol abuse
- The age of the children
- The children’s wishes, if they are mature enough to have an informed preference
- The current nature and amount of contact each parent has with the children
- Which parent is more likely to encourage frequent visits with the other parent
Types of Custody Arrangements
There are two categories of custody that the court will address:
- Legal custody, or who has the right to make important decisions about the children’s welfare, such as education, medical care, and religious upbringing
- Physical custody, or where the children will live and who is responsible for their daily care
The judge can order joint or sole custody for either category. A joint physical custody ruling means the children will live with both parents as equally as possible according to a set schedule. Conversely, when one parent is given sole physical custody, the other will either have visitation rights or, in extreme cases of abuse or neglect, will be barred access to the children altogether.
Call A Ventura Family Law Attorney Today
At Zahn Law Office, we are fully prepared to walk through this process with you. Whether facilitating an amicable agreement with the other parent of your children or aggressively fighting a custody battle in court, we are here to meet your needs.
Take the first step to safeguard your children’s future. Call (805) 804-9100 to get connected with our Ventura family lawyers.