Ventura Legal Separation Lawyers
What Is the Difference Between Separation and Divorce?
The most relevant differences between obtaining a legal separation rather than a divorce is that it takes effect immediately after it is ordered and does not actually terminate a marriage. While those who are granted a divorce go back to their single status, a couple which separates is still legally married.
There are many reasons why some couples choose to pursue a separation, the most common being:
- It is generally cheaper than divorce proceedings.
- It provides an option that allows for easy reconciliation in the future.
- It allows couples to retain marital privileges such as healthcare or immigration status.
Unsure if a separation or divorce is better for you? Let our legal separation lawyers in Ventura help you make that decision. Contact the Zahn Law Offices, APC at (805) 804-9100. We have offices in Ventura and Encino to serve clients in across Los Angeles County, Santa Barbara County, and all of Southern California.
How Does Legal Separation Work in California?
Depending on the relationship between the couple, many of the pertinent issues involved with a separation can be agreed upon without needing to go to court. Involving a mediator to assist if the spouses are unwilling to come to a mutual decision on the terms of their split may be effective. Agreements can be arranged through negotiations between attorneys or, in more contentious cases, through the court directly.
Some of the most important decisions that must be made during this process concern:
- Distribution of assets and debts
- Responsibility of existing payments
- Whether both spouses will have access to funds in joint accounts
- How income and property will be treated after couple separates
- Whether spousal support will be required
- Issues related to children, such as custody concerns and visitation rights
How Long Does Legal Separation Take in California?
Unlike divorce, legal separation in California takes effect immediately. However, it is possible for the final judgment of legal separation to take longer if the spouses are unable to reach a mutual agreement in dividing community assets and debts.
Can You Be Legally Separated and Live in the Same House in California?
California law allows for a couple to be considered as “living separate and apart,” even if they are still under the same roof, if:
- One spouse has expressed his or her intent to end the marriage to the other spouse; and
- The spouse’s conduct is consistent with his or her intent to end the marriage.
Contact the Ventura Legal Separation Attorney at Zahn Law Offices, APC, Today
Whether you are looking for simple legal counsel or aggressive representation, our Ventura legal separation attorneys are your ally throughout the process. With over 30 years of combined legal experience you can trust your case is in good hands when you turn to the Zahn Law Offices, APC.
Our Legal Team Has 30+ Years of Combined Experience
Our Lawyers Have Been Named to Super Lawyers Rising Star List
We Offer Flexible, Affordable Payment Plans
We Provide Quality Legal Service at Reasonable Rates
“He made magic happen when No other attorney would even take the time to discuss my matter.”- Chris M.
“The Zahn law office is very professional and focuses on your needs. Custody and visitation was handled promptly.”- Angel M.
“Their office helped not only resolve the issue, but ensured the agreement was fair and in the best interest of my son.”- Mike P.